Friday, March 12, 2010

When I grow up, I want to be...

I ask that question to my students a lot and myself even more.

And yes, I'm a grown up. But I always want to have something to look forward to. I want to be somebody who has done some pretty cool stuff in their life. Paved their way without fear, tried new things, broken out of the mold, and had a ton of fun along the way.

When I think of people who are true pioneers, Vivienne Westwood is it. With Malcolm McClaren, she was a pioneer of punk fashion.
She even has "Dame" tagged in front of her name. No need to be a Ms. or Miss, or Mrs., or whatever. But Dame, now that's pretty darn cool.

Now she just makes the coolest, most fun fashions.
And her runway shows always bring a smile to my face. She's almost 70, but lives a full, fun life. Her Fall 2010 collection was fab.
And as for Malcolm McClaren, I love this quote about his punk rock days on this interview . "You had to believe in failure...you had to be prepared to go through an idea without an fear. Failure you learned (as I did in art school) to be a wonderful thing."

After he managed the Sex Pistols, Bow Wow Wow, and the New York Dolls, has created some pretty cool music himself.
When I grow up, I want to be like Vivienne Westwood. And as for Malcolm McClaren, I'll keep listening to your groovy tunes!

XO, M.E.

images from BBC and Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails